Sunday, December 11, 2011

Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) : Part 3: Launch An Instance

In Part 1 and Part 2, I talked about creating an Amazon AWS account and setting up access credentials. In this part, I will talk about launching an instance.



  • If you don't have any key pairs, you can click the Key Pair link under My Resources section to create a key pair.

  • Click the Create Key Pair tab.


  • Enter a Key Pair Name and click Create. Save the generated private key to your computer. After a key pair is created, go back to the EC2 Console Dashboard. Click the Launch Instance Button to start an EC2 instance.

  • From the Request Instances Wizard, you can choose an Amazon Machine Image that meets your needs.  I'll choose the first one, Basic 32-bit Amazon Linux AMI 2011.09.


  • Choose an Instance Type (I choose Micro here), and click Continue. In next screen, use all default values and click Continue.

  • Add tags to your instance and click Continue. I use Name for the Key and my_demo for the Value.

  • Pick up an existing Key Pair or create a new one for connecting to your instance if it launches.


  • Configure Firewall: You can use an existing security group or create an new one. I'm going to create a group here. Click Create a new Security Group radio button, enter a name. Pick up a rule from Create a new rule dropdown box and click Add Rule button. You can define as many rules as you want.
  • Final Review. Everything looks good. Click Launch.

Congratulations, Your first Amazon EC2 instance is up and running!  I will talk about connecting to Amazon EC2 instance in part 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment